WordPress 3.5 Upgrade

[sc:wordpress-category ]So WordPress 3.5 was finally released after a few delays and while it doesn’t bring anything new that I need, it does have all the various fixes in it so upgrading is always a high priority on my list.

First things first, WordPress has an amazing update process that’s been rock solid in the past but I’m still paranoid (as everyone should be ūüėČ and execute a full backup of my site using Total Backup.¬† I’ve used¬†Total Backup for a while and it’s good, however the lack of scheduling is starting to make me think of looking for another solution (or more likely just adding the functionality myself).

Once the backup was done, the standard update process executed without issue and 3.5 installed.  Everything looked good.

The next day I was editing a post and when to change the scheduled publish time and instead of the time/date selector appearing, nothing happened when I clicked on the “Edit” link.

I have a local installation of WordPress I use to test out new plugins and themes and it wasn’t an issue on that install.

I disabled pretty much all my plugins and that didn’t help.

I pulled down the backup and did a binary file comparison (using Beyond Compare, an awesome app!) between my test site, the production site and the WordPress 3.5 core files, nothing of note.

After some more poking around I finally had a flash of inspiration and realized my test site doesn’t use the same theme as I use on JumbleCat (Arjuna X) so I enabled it.¬† Eureka!¬† The test site was broken in the same way.

I went to the theme authors site but the support area they used to have is gone.  Doing a quick search brought me here, which explains that theme uses an old version of the jQuery UI library that conflicts with WordPress 3.5.

The thread suggests replacing the 1.8.10 version of the file with the 1.9.2 version but keeping the original file name.¬† I don’t like that solution as it could cause other issues with other plugins so instead I did the following:

  • Download version 1.9.2 of¬†jQuery-UI from http://jqueryui.com/
  • Place the new jQuery-UI file in arjuna-x/lib
  • Edited arjuna-x/functions.php, update the reference for jquery-ui-1.8.10 to 1.9.2 version

This makes it all nice and clean and most importantly, functional.

 

Greg

Greg

Greg is the head cat at JumbleCat, with over 20 years of experience in the computer field, he has done everything from programming to hardware solutions. You can contact Greg via the contact form on the main menu above.

More Posts - Website

Greg

Greg

Greg is the head cat at JumbleCat, with over 20 years of experience in the computer field, he has done everything from programming to hardware solutions. You can contact Greg via the contact form on the main menu above.

Leave a Reply