[sc:hardware-category ]Sony announced the PS4 last week and I have been a loyal PlayStation owner since the beginning. But I think that’s just about done.
Over the last couple of years my gaming has moved from minimal to zero. I don’t even remember the last time I actually played a game on either my PS3 or Xbox. I guess it’s time to admit I’m no longer a gamer 🙁
So really, what would I use a PS4 for? Streaming video and playing BluRay’s. On that count I can find much cheaper alternatives than the PS4 (even though they haven’t announced a price yet). Ok, but beyond the fact I probably won’t buy a PS4, what did we find out about it?
Ah, not much really:
- New controller that looks kind of boxy.
- 3D camera, AKA Sony admitting Move failed and Connect won.
- 8 core processor and 8 gig of RAM.
- BluRay support (as if that wasn’t going to be there, Sony owns the standard after all).
- Flashy demo’s that won’t turn out to be real games like every other PlayStation announcement.
In the end we didn’t even get to see the hardware. And why are they announcing it 8 months early? I know Sony stock is in the tank and they need a big win, but really? All they’re going to do is demolish their PS3 sales.
Honestly it doesn’t really interest me anymore, it looks to be impressive hardware but not something I’ll be investing in.
Maybe if they put it in to a standard AV chassis instead of some stupid custom form factor I might get one just to play with it, but otherwise I think it’s a pass.