[sc:linux-category ]In my last post I talked about my OpenVPN Access Servers and a problem I was having, while working on that I also noticed that they were still running Ubuntu 12.
A while ago I upgraded my Ubuntu server through the in place upgrade process and so I was reasonably comfortable with it. However as this was the a VM I hadn’t built but instead downloaded from OpenVPN, I decided to take a look around and see if there were any gotcha’s with it.
A search didn’t turn up anything and overall there was a real lack of information on the OpenVPN site. In the end I decided to simply take a snapshot of my backup node and go through with the upgrade process.
I won’t go in to detail of the upgrade process, you can read my previous post for that, but it went smoothly and after I restarted the server, OpenVPN came up as well.
Of course I needed to test the backup node, which means taking down the primary node. My first instinct (which in the case was wrong) was to simply shutdown the OpenVPN service on the primary node. That doesn’t work because UCARP doesn’t actually monitor the service on the primary node, but instead just the IP address. I decided the simpler way to just shutdown the whole server.
Once down, the backup node took over the services and everything was fine.
I simply repeated the process on the primary node and both functioned as expected.