[sc:mobile-category ]Last week HP sent out an update to the TouchPad, version 3.0.5.
Installing was easy, though I have found the TouchPad’s update notifier to be a little bit lacking, both firmware and software updates seem to take days to appear instead of when the update is available.
Included in this release:
- Faster switching between Day, Week, and Month views, and faster event display in Calendar.
- Faster scrolling when reading an email message.
- Email attachments are now saved with draft messages.
- Added sender photos and IM presence indicators in Email.
- Improved stability when watching video in the Web app.
- Improved handling of MP3s that are transferred from a computer using USB Drive mode.
- Added a dedicated view of contacts available for a video call, for quicker setup of a video call.
- New alert when video quality might be lower because of network issues.
- When typing, pressing the space bar twice inserts a period. This can be toggled on and off.
- Auto-correction can be turned off directly from the on-screen keyboard.
- Added support for HTTP Live Streaming.
Much of this is simple bug fixes, but I did noticed right away the addition of the sender’s photo in e-mail, which I think is a pretty big waste of screen real estate.
I haven’t noticed any improvement in web pages with video, but it will be a welcome addition if true, loading a webpage with multiple video elements on it pretty much ensured a browser crash.
The double space for a period function really annoys me, but fortunately it can be turned off. Speaking of short cuts, here’s something about the TouchPad that makes no sense to me. The TouchPad keyboard has a tab key on it, but when writing an e-mail or other text items, it acts like a web browser and goes to the next field instead of acting like a TAB key and inserting a TAB in the text.
So far it’s been hard to tell much difference with 3.0.5, but something I did notice (and isn’t in the above list) is that a vertical scroll indicator now appears in the web browser. It might have been there before, but I don’t remember it and do remember wishing one was there…
So now the only question is weather this will be the last update for the TouchPad or not?